Fruit should be red and fully ripe when collected, usually in October depending on the region.
- Soak fruit for at least 24 hrs.
- Macerate fruit in the blender for 2- 5 minutes, depending on how firm it is.
- After maceration, float off the unripe seed and outer parts of the berry.
- Dry seed at room temp for one week.
- Store in glass jars at 34 ۫ F.
- Soak seed for 24 hrs.
- Surface sterilized for 10 min. with 10% bleach solution.
- Moist stratify at 34F for 60 days.
- Sow in plug trays and top-dress lightly with fine vermiculite.
- Germinate at 68-80 ۫ F.
- Drench with a fungicide to prevent damping-off (optional).
- Fertigate weekly at 100 ppm N to start, building up to 300 ppm N at the end of plug stage.
- After two months (approx.), transplant plugs into 0.5ℓ treepots for one season, after which they are outplanted to the field.